Monday, April 11, 2016

I was taking pictures of the sunset but there wasn't enough drama to move me so I decided to go home.

Just as I turned the camera off and removed my filter, suddenly, this big boat comes out of nowhere from underneath the bridge!

I hurried as fast I could, grabbed the filter, secured it to the lens, and flipped on my camera just as the boat decided to turn in the water.  It's big lights gleaming across the waves almost lining up with me on the bridge.  It was an unbelievable moment.

I stood on that bridge wondering if I was going to get the shot I wanted.  Would this work or wouldn't it?  Only time would tell.  And so I waited.  I could not do anything because the camera was on a very slow shutter speed. Together, we waited... for 2 long minutes. 

And then, I saw this shot and could not believe the moment had made an image just for me.  The sunset, the clouds, the windows in the buildings, the street lights... all dancing apart and then pulled together by the boat's big lights that finished the scene like a painter's broad strokes across a canvas.  

It felt like the boat painted the picture. 

I am sure you hear photographers always saying, 'Let's go painting with lights at night.'  And that is just what I did.  

Here is the picture...